Over the years, the Tucker House Inn has been honored to be the preferred pet-friendly inn for the San Juan Islands. We have homemade dog biscuits waiting for your companions in your rooms when you check in, and Friday Harbor is a very welcoming town for dog walking and exploring.
Because we know travel is a bit stressful for our furry and feathered friends, we are including some highlights from an article recently published in Tripswithpets.com concerning Traveling with Your Cat in the Car:
1. Always use a pet travel carrier for your cat and familiarize your pet with the carrier well before the trip.
2. Prepare the cat by placing blankets or towels with the pet’s scent in the vehicle, then climb in with your cat (be sure to close the doors!) and allow the cat to explore the car.
3. Add to the comfort of the pet with the carrier by placing her in the carrier and in the car for feeding time, daily for about a week before the trip. Associate the vehicle with good things. Begin turning on the engine while the cat is in the car, but don’t go anywhere yet.
4. When the cat begins to feel comfortable, begin taking short trips around the neighborhood – reward your pet with treats or play time after she gets back home. Slowly increase the ride times.
5. Remain calm – the cat will sense your energy.
6. Plan for potty breaks, if your cat has been trained to work with a leash.
We can’t wait to welcome you and your cat to the Tucker House